Monday, April 27, 2009

What is Friendship?

One definition:

Friendship is an in-depth relationship. Friends are comfortable and relaxed. Friendship requires meeting the needs of both friends. It is an in-depth relationship combining trust, support, communication, loyalty, understanding, empathy, and intimacy.




Well what does the Bible say?




'Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their labor. For if they fall, one will lift up his companion. But woe to him who is alone when he falls for he has no one to help him up.'


Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 New King James Version




or




'A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.'


Prov 17:17 New International Version




It is pretty clear in christian and non-christan words that a friend is something everyone should have. Why is it though that this day in age genuion friends are hard to find? Friends should be like your sister, your breathing diary where all your secrets are kept, the one that holds your hair when you drank too much and sneaks you out so you wouldn't be embarassed. Even TV is desensitizing friendship with shows like Paris Hilton My BFF. You don't want a friend so you can get something out of them or for them to take advantage of you. They are purely there to be with you cause they love YOU and who YOU are.


I have had two of the greatest friends in my life:




In middle and high school Krystal and I were joined at the hip. We started the first day of school dressing in the same clothes, sat next to each other on the bus. We were best friends. She was my only friend for a very hard and dark time in my life. She saved me from hurting myself and was the person that I relied on. She is a strong, very smart, clear headed woman. She is working on her PhD and does everything possibly to live the way that is best for her. This is us the first day of high school. August 16,1998




Faye has been my best friend for 6 years. We have been though pregnancy, divorces, living next door to one another to then states apart. She has been my closest confidant. She has never judged me, stabbed me in the back, been two faced, or hurt my feelings. She has encourged me in everything. She flew from California to Arizona to be the only person on the 'bride side' and was my maid of honor. She is putting her self through school getting her Masters in Nursing while being an awesome single mom to two great kids. She is such an inspiration to me and I love her so much. This is us on my wedding day.
True friendship is hard to find. I am so thankful for these women in my life. Even if time has distance us a bit or miles are between us these women are who I aspire to be. When you do find people who are true honest people and want nothing from you but to be your friend keep them close because they are hard to come by.

No comments: