Monday, May 31, 2010

Happy Memorial Day!

Happy Memorial Day everyone!
I know a lot of people think its just a time for pools to open, summer to start, graduations, or a nice three day weekend, but do you know the real reason we have Memorial Day? If you have a loved one in the service or had then you know.

It commemorates U.S. men and women who died while in the military service. First enacted to honor Union soldiers of the American Civil War it was expanded after World War I.
Because we have two wars going on we really need to thank those who serve and have served. My brother, Erik, is leaving for the Marine Corp at the end of June to serve out country. My other brother Zeph leaves for the National Guard June 1st. I am a former Army wife and know the burden it can but on the men and women serving. Aaron so many friends get hurt and killed while in Iraq for 15 months and knows that honoring those who have fallen are important.

This Memorial Day really think about all those military burial grounds, each headstone has a name, they were a person, and that person died making sure we could live in a free country.

I personally want to thank my brothers for joining the services and protecting us and wish them safe returns home. I want to thank my husband's friends who died while serving in Iraq and to their families who loved them. For all who have died in a war and to those families that have lost someone dear to them I thank you for being there and sacrificing for each American.




No comments: